Monday, July 23, 2018

Contentment


Photo by Li Hua-hsuan on Unsplash

“I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.” Philippians 4:11-12

We all know that we are to be content in what the Lord provides for us. We can even say that we are content in all circumstances. But, is this really true? In my life, I find that I struggle with contentment. I am on a quest to be content in what the Lord provides. It is not an easy journey.

I must admit that I am blessed with many things in life. I have a loving, supportive family. I have a job I love. I have good friends. I have a beautiful home and do not want for anything necessary for life. I live in a country with freedoms of speech, politics, and religion. I have never had to worry where the next meal is coming from, or if I can afford to go to the doctor. And I know that the majority of people in the world cannot make the same claims. So then, why does it seem that I struggle with contentment?


Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash

I think a root cause is our basic human nature. How many proverbs speak of the better thing just around the corner? Our natural instinct is to want something different, something better, something just out of reach. Unfortunately, in our quest to get the next thing (whether it be a possession, a job, a prestigious position, etc.) we often turn our desire into an idol worthy of our best worship. One of the Ten Commandments is “you shall not covet.” God considers discontent as significant a character flaw as murder, stealing, and adultery. Yet, how often do I consider my covetousness as a primary offense against God?

So I am on a quest to be content in all circumstances. And I am not just speaking about contentment in monetary resources or possessions. I am talking about contentment with every circumstance in life. I often want to trade in my job, or my family, or my recreation for a different model or for an idealized model. If only I could get the kids to act in this way, then life would be great. If only I could get this task accomplished at work, then life would be grand. If only I had the time to exercise or prepare these healthy meals, then my life would be care-free. 

The awful truth is that my mind often dwells on the what-ifs or the could-bes in life. And every time I dwell on the what-ifs, my contentment level sinks. I start to blame circumstances, or people, or God for the “defects” in my life (if I only had more money, if she’d only be willing to, if God would do this, then …).

I am also on a quest to find the most utility in those possessions I have, and to seriously evaluate my need for those possessions. Is it appropriate to have as many clothes as I have? And if so, then am I content with that and am I thankful to God for His provision of those clothes? Do I really need all the things that I have? How can I show gratefulness for what I do have? How might I show greater appreciation for the things that God has graciously given me that are not possessions (family, education, time, good health, etc.) but are invaluable to my personal fulfillment?


Photo by Robert Reyes on Unsplash

I often daydream about my garden. I think about what might be. I plan for what I might plant next season. I picture what crops we might harvest, or what flowers we might see next season. I know it’s a silly example, but this is really how my mind works. But, my dreams often turn into desires, and I will pursue my desires no matter what the cost. Am I willing to sacrifice time with my son and daughter so that I can get a pint of blueberries next season? Would I spend untold amounts of money on mail-order plants and seeds and neglect spending time or money on a ministry God has called me to pursue?

What is your daydream garden of discontent? What would you be willing to sacrifice in pursuit of that garden?

I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave a comment of email me at faithofthisfather@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment