Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Adrift

Since it's a new year, I'm reading my Bible from the beginning again. I've read and preached from Genesis more times than I can name. God's word, however, is always fresh and alive. As I was reading the flood account, I was struck by this passage from Genesis 7:24-8:1.

"The water prevailed upon the earth one hundred fifty days. But God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the cattle that were with him on the ark."

I've read the passage countless times. This time, however, I was struck by the seeming loneliness of the passage. Maybe it's because my family is experiencing a low time. Whatever the reason, I felt such a deep feeling of loneliness. I have always assumed that Noah and his family felt the presence of the Lord during the flood. As I read the passage from the NASB, I wondered: Did they feel alone? Did they feel God's presence? Or did they spend 150 days adrift -- listening fearfully to the constant pounding of the rain -- unsure if God would remember them?

Our family has experienced a long season of loneliness. There have been months on end where it seems that God has forgotten about us. It's difficult when you felt that you were once able to discern the voice of God, but now you feel radio silence.

I would like to say that we have responded to this season of silence in a dignified way -- trusting in God despite the silence. The truth, however, is that the silence has left us adrift. Much of the time, we have drifted away from God, and have been unable to trust in Him or his promises. Truthfully, we have completely ignored Him during this season of silence.

I draw new hope from this passage. I don't know if Noah and his family felt adrift, or forgotten, or lonely. I do know that the Bible says that "God remembered Noah." I am mindful that God never forgot Noah. I am cognizant that got has not forgotten me or my family. But, my heart has had trouble hanging on to that promise that He will not forget me nor forsake me (Deut. 31:8, Heb 13:5-6).





No comments:

Post a Comment